Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tallahassee Trepidation

Thursday January 12, 2012
The last few days the reality of spending a month in Tallahassee is really hitting home. The trip to Tallahassee -350 miles one way – doesn’t lend itself to coming home much during session. There is so much to do in Tallahassee, and I don’t mean sight-seeing, it seems senseless to make the drive back to Brevard.

Session started Tuesday, Cathy Jordan, our president went up for the first week. Cathy knows her way around the Capital – she has represented this plant, herself and the plight of patients in Tallahassee and Washington, DC. Cannabis couldn’t have a better representative in Tallahassee.

She went up with her husband Bob, fellow Vietnam vet Frank D and caregiver, Adam. Frank arrived in Tallahassee with the flu. After days of preparation and a new suit, Frank was stuck in his room for the first two day. It made me realize how precious our time in Tallahassee is during session.

How can I make the most of every moment in Tallahassee? There are thousands of patients who suffer every day because they won’t break the law by using this medicine. Those already using cannabis, an untold number of Floridians, are placing their liberty at risk to protect their health.

I feel the weight of their fear. Why should someone be afraid to use a simple plant? I get so angry when someone calls cannabis the “demon weed” or some such. Do they not know according to the Bible in Genesis 1:29 “And God said , Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” I like the King James Version best, other versions say for you it shall be food. King James says meat – as hemp seeds are the second highest source of protein behind soy, I’d say meat is appropriate.

So, how do I prepare myself to represent this plant?

There is the practical, get those comfortable shoes resoled, print plenty of business cards. The real important stuff, hug the boys more, make more time to talk to them each day before I leave, tell my husband how much I love and appreciate him. Take lots of deep breaths, through my nose and believe with the help of cannabis supporters around the state, we will make the most of every day in Tallahassee.

No comments:

Post a Comment